hearing aid funding

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 14 02:08:03 EST 1996

In article <3211695E.5768 at netusa1.net>, cmichel at NETUSA1.NET says...

>I am a new CFY audiologist in Indiana, and I have recently met
>quite an interesting patient.  He is a 2 1/2 year old child with the
>maximum conductive hearing loss due to atresia.  He was wearing a bone
>conduction hearing aid until it was lost by the baby sitter 1 month ago.

>        Money is tight for mom (single parent w/ 3 children and two
>jobs).  Currently, I am looking for some funding possibilities for the
>family.  This is something that I have never had the opportunity to do
>for a patient, and I want to give it my all.  I have already contacted
>Hear Now in Denver for an application, but I really don't know where to
>go from here.  Surely there are some organizations that would be willing
>to sponsor this child who is without a doubt in need.

>        Where have you had success in the past looking for funding for
>"special" patients?  What organizations would you recommend contacting?

Hear Now is a good place to start.  It may take a little time to secure
acceptance into the program, but it is worth the wait.

You may also check into the Department of Health in Indiana.  In Texas,
there is a wonderful program where almost any child can be provided with
hearing aids.  You may also call your local Starkey rep. and ask about
the Starkey Foundation.

>        I also have some hearing aids in my office that I would like to
>donate to a worthy charity.

Hear Now accepts all sorts of hearing aids.  They essentially send them
into the manufacturers for "credit" on future purchases they make when
fitting devices through Hear Now.

Good Luck,

Jeff