Labview

John C. Campbell campbell at theshop.net
Thu Aug 15 23:24:28 EST 1996

Geoff Hammond wrote:

> Does anyone have experience using LabVIEW to control a PC soundcard to
> generate acoustic stimuli for research?
>
> --
> Geoff Hammond
> geoff at psy.uwa.edu.au

I've used lab view on Macs but not on PC's.  Call Labview, they know who
has developed what you need.  I do speech perception work on a PC and
use Turtle Beach sound card with their native application - Wave.
Pretty inexpensive.  I also have Sonic Forge.  Very nice but much more
expensive.  Generally, if you need simple stimuli - like a sine wave,
you can generate it off line (say from an audiometer to a tape deck),
then import it through the sound card and the software, then save it.

If you're really serious about using a PC, use a very fast processor
(100 MHz or faster), and a hard drive designed for audio-video work.
You want the fastest transfer rate possible it you digitize at high
rates.  You also need a large disk drive - audio files take a lot of
disk space.