BPPV

mike heardoc1 at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 19 13:10:30 EST 1996

I'm interested in finding out if anyone knows what is called true BPPV
when performing the Dix Hallpike maneuver. I know all the classic signs
to look for when performing the test (delayed onset, subjective feeling
of dizziness, etc) but I recently heard that in order for it to be true
BPPV the nystagmus will change directions when the patient is brought
to the original sitting position. I have not experienced this and this
is not something most Audiologists I come into contact with have either
experience or heard of. Most of the audiologist I have talked to don't
even continue the recording after the patient is returned to the
original sitting position. One audiologist I talked to said that maybe
that is true BPPV in the original sense, but she will still call it
BPPV with all the other signs present because she has never heard this.
Somebody please help me on this question, I would like to know how the
test was originally designed, and if this is true is it a vital
component in determining BPPV or are the other signs sufficient?

Thanks,
Mike