hearing aid funding -- a response

Gary Glascoe gglascoe at add-inc.com
Thu Aug 15 09:25:14 EST 1996

There are funding sources out there for those who "fall between the
cracks."  Some hearing aid manufacturers have established foundations for
the purpose of providing patients with hearing aids.  They might stipulate
that you also donate your services.  The Starkey Foundation is a good place
to start by calling Starkey and asking to speak to someone about the
Starkey Foundation.  I have heard that Miracle Ear also has a foundation
set up for children although I have not dealt with them.

The Lions International has become interested in providing hearing aids
(re-furbished or new) to those who do not qualify for state funding.
Contact your local Lions Club for information on how to tap into this
source.  The Lions group will usually pay you a modest dispensing fee for
your service.  Also, contact your local social services group for funding
sources.  Sometimes they can help steer you to groups like the Templer
Knights who provide hearing aids instruments.

May I suggest that you package up your used hearing aids and send them over
to your local University or College that has an audiology program.  They
can use this for classroom instruction and dissection.  The Lions
International gathers both glasses and, now, hearing aids for their
programs.   Finally, any all-make hearing air repair shop covets your used
hearing aids.  Most major hearing aid manufacturers have all-make repair
labs plus there is a plethora of these labs posted in the trades.

Hope this helps

Gary Glascoe
gglascoe at add-inc.com