Suggestions for increasing collections

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 22 22:41:00 EST 1996

In article <19960821044341.AAB9677 at LOCALNAME>, Coffin at worldnet.att.net
says...

>I would like suggestions regarding methods used to increase collections
>from patients who are purchasing hearing aids.  How can a practice best
>deal with the problem of patients who refuse/don't/can't pay for their
>hearing aids (and approach this in such a manner as to not freighten the
>patient away in the first place)?

In our office, I use the following approach:

We ask for the fitting and dispensing fee of $195 (2 aids) or $125
(1 aid) at the time they are ordered.  This pays for the materials
and time spent in ordering the devices, plus the time involved during
the trial period.  Plus it is no major upfront financial committment
when the aids are ordered.

I tell patients that we would like full payment when the aids leave
the office (fitting session).  Most people who agree to a certain
model do not have any problem paying for the aids at that time.  One
can keep in mond that most people 65+ have the financial resources to
pay for such devices.  If they don't, they will simply say "I can't
afford them".  In these cases where someone balks over the price, or
asks about payment plans, I usually suggest half on delivery and the
other half at the end of the trail period.  If they are still not happy
with that, I suggest half on delivery and the remainder of the next 6
months.  If this does not work, then they probably can't afford hearing
aids at all.  This is a simple fact of life.

Jeff