Hearing aids

SDSMACCCA sdsmaccca at aol.com
Fri Aug 23 16:47:25 EST 1996

I believe GHI claims their CIC with the Intrigue circuit is a dual channel
aid because the "Intrigue" is actually Gennum's Dynamic EQ 2 Circuit.  The
DEQ2 is a user-friendly (another word for non-programmable?) dual channel
amplifier which separates the incoming signal into high and low frequency
bands. The bands then are independently expanded/compressed before they
are once again joined and amplified.

In my conversations with other manufacturers, I have been told that the
DEQ2 is Gennum's way of giving Mead Killion (K-Amp) and Resound (WBDRC) a
run for their money.  I have dispensed a lot of DEQ2s, though, and my
patients have been extremely satisfied with the results.  Functional gain
and real ear measurements have also been encouraging.  The crossover
frequency option puzzles me though--I seem to have better luck matching
target with an active tone control.  The crossover options seem to work a
little better in the Resound and Siemens Music programmable products.  But
perhaps I may be expecting too much from a non-programmable hearing aid.

Steven D. Sederholm