Mastoidectomy?

susan moreland smorelan at postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu
Sat Aug 24 17:37:21 EST 1996

In article <321f4388.1331914 at news.accessone.com> steve at accessone.com (Steve Hoffman) writes:

>I've had middle-ear fluid for a long time - have tried myringotomy,
>but the tubes keep getting clogged and it doesn't accomplish much
>anyway.  Also have bilateral tinnitus.

>Now the doc is recommending bilateral mastoidectomy, along with an ENG
>test to evaluate my recurrent dizziness.  Any thoughts on this?  (Ran
>a couple of Net searches, but can't seem to find much material)

>Thanks!

>...Steve

>steve at accessone.com

i don't know why your doc thinks you need a mastoidectomy.  that's a pretty
radical surgery.  as with all surgeries, please get a second, and perhaps even
a third, opinion.

as for the ENG, if you are dizzy it is the test of choice to determine the
cause.

susan moreland
audiologist

tinnitus faq:  http://www.cccd.edu/faq/tinnitus.html