Hearing aids

Gary Holland gary at gholland.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 27 03:33:04 EST 1996

In article <4vnag5$qq4 at sjx-ixn5.ix.netcom.com>, "David G. Delage"
<dgdelge at ix.netcom.com> writes

>While we're posing questions <grin>, why would you NOT want to use
>real ear measurement to fit hearing aids?
>
>It seems to me that not using REM is like measuring the length of a
>building by saying the average human foot is 12 inches long and
>walking along the edge of the building.  -You'll be close, but not
>exact.
>
>-Dave
Interestingly both Widex with the senso and Oticon with the Digifocus
are advising that REM  is not used when fitting the instruments due to
the 'complexity of the algorithms operating the DSP chips. Both these
instruments have a 'test mode' which is used for QC checking.  It does
seem a little unfortunate that we spend such a lot of time and money
investing in state of the art measurement equipment to the benefit of
both ourselves and our clients only to find that using the latest high
technology hearing instruments makes it obsolete.

Gary Holland
The Hearing Care Centre
Ponteland
UK