hoarse voice

SDSMACCCA sdsmaccca at aol.com
Tue Aug 27 14:05:40 EST 1996

OK audiologists of the world...put your thinking caps on.  I have a
patient who was fitted approximately one year ago with binaural Argosy CIC
instruments.  She essentially likes the aids, hears much better, and is
comfortable with them.

The problem? After she wears the aids for about three minutes, her voice
becomes hoarse.  She essentially has no hoarseness to her voice without
the aids, nor when she first puts them in--but after three minutes, it is
quite an effort for her to speak.  The patient's ENT exam was
unremarkeable.  I do not believe this is an occlussion problem.  I
measured very little, if any occlussion via the real ear {"eee/aaa"}
measurement.  She does not complain of any echo, reverboration, or hollow
quality to her voice.  Both aids' vents were externalized, and the
receiver port is approximately 1/8"-1/4" past the second bend of the
canal.  Slope changes were also performed.  No relief was reported with
these adjustments.

Has anyone experienced this complaint before?  Would appreciate any
suggestions.

SDS