Hearing aids

mikey gandalf at infi.net
Wed Aug 28 21:43:54 EST 1996

Gary Holland <gary at gholland.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
<+g9mHHAALrIyEwkp at gholland.demon.co.uk>...
> In article <4vnag5$qq4 at sjx-ixn5.ix.netcom.com>, "David G. Delage"
> <dgdelge at ix.netcom.com> writes
> >
> >While we're posing questions <grin>, why would you NOT want to use
> >real ear measurement to fit hearing aids?
> >
> >It seems to me that not using REM is like measuring the length of a
> >building by saying the average human foot is 12 inches long and
> >walking along the edge of the building.  -You'll be close, but not
> >exact.
> >
> >-Dave
> Interestingly both Widex with the senso and Oticon with the Digifocus
> are advising that REM  is not used when fitting the instruments due to
> the 'complexity of the algorithms operating the DSP chips. Both these
> instruments have a 'test mode' which is used for QC checking.  It does
> seem a little unfortunate that we spend such a lot of time and money
> investing in state of the art measurement equipment to the benefit of
> both ourselves and our clients only to find that using the latest high
> technology hearing instruments makes it obsolete.
> >

> Gary Holland
> The Hearing Care Centre
> Ponteland
> UK

IMHO, using real ear measures as if they have anything to do with hearing
aid success is like saying that you have to know the cubic volume of a room
before you can wallpaper it. Its a nice thing to do and all, and probably
impresses the patient no end, but there is no real validity to the
measures, in ensuring a better fit. The hearing aid companies have probably
just stopped humoring unthinking audiologists brainwashed by ditzy
professors (who receive free trips and "consultation" cash from RE
manufacturers).

Michael Ridenhour