AuD can't be called "Doctor" in Iowa!

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Wed Dec 18 00:27:53 EST 1996

"mikey" <gandalf at infi.net> writes:

>> Sure, you can call yourself a Doctor on the golf course, but are you
>>implying that a person without an M.D. or a Ph.D. can call themselves a
>>Doctor in their professional office or when discussing audiology with
>>someone?

>I am called Doctor by about half my patients, in spite of the fact that I
>always introduce myself as Mr. ....., my secretaries always say (by my
>instruction) "Mr. ..... will be with you shortly." I have corrected a few
>patients, and have been told that they will call me what they wish. I
>gave up worrying about it 20 years ago. Occasionally, someone will ask me
if >I hold the doctorate. I answer honestly.....

I think you are describing a common phenomena that many male hearing health
care providers encounter when working in a health profession.  This is not a
"gender slam", but an honest statement from someone else who corrects
patients that call me "Doctor".

>...as I answer all questions honestly, and to the best of my ability
>(remember your insult to me about dispensing CICs?)

I can't say that I remember that one.  Are you sure it was me?  Please email
privately to refresh my memory....

>So, am I worried that a hearing aid dealer in Iowa is going to turn me
>in?
>
>Not hardly.

I don't think that was Paul's intention in any way, shape, or form.  He was
only offering a clearer explanation of Iowa law for our informational use.

I guess I have a hard time with professionals in this field that like to
flaunt their credentials rather than their skill level.  This is not an
attack on you, Mikey, as you do not exhibit this trait.  But there are
people out there who think that because they have a Ph.D. in audiology that
they are somewhat better diagnosticians or better in fitting hearing devices
than the rest of us.  A local audiologist in our town has a phonebook entry
that reads "Dr. Joe Smoe, Ph.D., CCC-A, FAAA".  There is nothing wrong with
listing degrees and professional organizations that one belongs to, but by
tacking on the "Dr.", along with a Ph.D. or AuD., you put yourself in with
the chiropractors (D.C.) and clinical psychologists (Psy.D.), which really
turns my stomach.

>The Au.D is an acknowledgment of a life spent in service to the hard of
>hearing. All those who insult others about it, and those who aspire to
>hold it, are welcome to try to achieve the Ph.D., if that is their life
>goal. But, please, leave those of us who are proud of our time in
>audiological service alone.

I could not agree more.  But let the AuD degree be something that is earned
by people who deserve it via years of experience and expertise, and that it
signifies a person that is an expert in audiology in the comprehensive sense.
If the degree is too easily earned, it will carry no major significance.

Jeff