Need advice on new aids

Joseph Danto danto at yu1.yu.edu
Thu Feb 1 16:21:22 EST 1996

I recall trying to unbundle several years ago.  Patients would not balk
at spending 500 for a hearing aid but when they were told 325 was the
cost of the aid, 25 for the mold and 150  for dispensing fee they
exploded that i should lnot bother explaining the use of the aid nor
monitor its use nor ship it back for repair(s) nor come back for a
follow-up  visit in 2 weeks.  They thought I was "ripping them off"
complained to the referral sources and I had a terrible PR job to undo
the ill will generated.  Could not understand there was a cost for
professional time..."car salesman explain about cars and don't charge for
their time"  was a common remark.  This happened both in a private
practice setting and hospital setting .

PS yes I explained professional time/expertise etc but it just wasn't
worth the agida.

Joseph Danto, Ph.D.,
danto at yu1.yu.edu or
slugger at ios.com