Baylor AuD Update

Kevin M. Brownstein brownkm at grove.ufl.edu
Sat Feb 3 12:54:08 EST 1996

Just making sure everyone in this group is aware that Baylor has suspended
admissions for its AuD program. The UNOFFICIAL word is that the students were
not prepared to compete in medical school classes and only one of them
received a satisfactory grade (does that mean the rest failed? I don't
know). Just wanted to get a discussion going about where we're headed with
this degree. Its beginning to be apparent that the infrastructure to offer
this degree is lacking. I began my core classes for audiology in the summer
following my second year of college. Let's face it...by then, most of the
students in the core biology, physics and chem sequences have been weeded out
to leave only qualified pre-med and other science rich majors. And I figure at
that point, not many of these students who have succeeded that far are going
to select a track leading to a 30-50K/year job....
As I see it, the underlying principle is to attract the new crop of
audiologist (AuD holders) from the pool of students on a pre-med track. That
sounds like a tough sell. I saw a quote from Jerger at Baylor saying that he
wanted to hold up for a couple of terms until applicants were more qualified
for the program.
My concern is that we are not being sensitive to the demographics of the
typical audiology student. How do we establish a science based curriculum to
educate future audiologists without losing most to medical schools? Do we
begin to offer a separate science curriculum, and push basic audiology courses
back into the first year(s) of grad school? Its great that we want to reach a
doctoral level in the profession, and there seems to be plenty of discussion
about how to distribute the credentials once they become the norm. But there's
much less discussion about how we get from here to there in the first place...
Kevin Brownstein
University of Florida