Business 101 & Audiology

HearWHAC HearWHAC at netins.net
Sun Feb 11 00:16:48 EST 1996

In article <4fde1r$igu at utdallas.edu>, dybala at utdallas.edu says...

>I know that students in the Baylor program can
>participate in the Starkey Graduate Internship Program,
>and many business and marketing concepts are presented
>during the internship.

One of my associates went through the Starkey Graduate Internship Program.
It is excellent! This is the type of thing that more universities should be
doing with their students.

Instead of university-based hearing aid dispensing programs, offering
internships in successful audiology practices makes more sense. Of course,
faculty members also need ongoing experience in dispensing practices.
Internships should be required in a hearing aid manufacturing facility,
private practice dispensing facilities and other phases of audiology.

We "hire" (for pay) college graduates each summer prior to their entering a
graduate audiology program. In three months they can learn enough to get a
good head-start on their degree program. Audiology students are always
welcome to come spend a day, a week or even a month visiting our practice.
One student, Shelley Duncan, who occasionally posts to this list recently
spent a day in our office. She has decided to come back next month during
spring break to spend another day.

Observing (and working in) successful audiology practices is an important
part of the audiologist's education. Starkey's program is good. It is
unfortunate that they can only accept a few students each year.

Paul Woodard ;-)
Des Moines IA USA
I respect the training program offered in Germany at Lubek for Acousticians.
They intersperse periods of classroom instruction with "apprenticeships" in
the real world. It is an excellent program of instruction. (Of course they
don't have 150 - 200 universities each doing the same thing like we have in
the US.)