Where are the decibel police?

Catherine Hollevoet chollevo at PACIFIER.COM
Wed Feb 14 00:58:57 EST 1996

>To: audiolog at net.bio.net
>From: wmdawes at colorpro.com (Bill Dawes)
>Subject: Where are the decibel police?
>Date: 13 Feb 1996 15:27:01 GMT
>
>A lot of hearing damage is happening in fitness classes nowadays,
>as has happened and continues to happen at dances, etc.
>
>What's the defense against this? Clubs that are concerned about
>the health of their clientele certainly shouldn't be destroying
>it!
>
>Is it difficult and expensive to check decibels? An ordinary
>citizen feels like the lone whiner if s/he complains about this.
>I lost a lot of hearing in the army 45 years ago, and live with
>annoying tinnitis, perhaps that's why these high volume situations
>bug me more than others present...
>
>Where are the hearing police when we need them? Who's responsible
>outside the workplace for this destruction?
>
>--
>Bill Dawes  wmdawes at colorpro.com
>http://www.colorpro.com/~color/wmdawes
>13020 Birchleaf Road - Chester, VA 23831 - 804-748-8639

I agree!!! I have complained zillions of times about the loudness level of
the aeorobics instructors and have seen no changes. Sometimes the
instructor is so loud her voice is distorted. However, I don't think the
levels are loud enough to damage your hearing just loud enough to give you
a headache and ruin your workout. Any suggestions about what works to get
them to lower the volume???