Hearing Aid Dispensing Question?

HearWHAC HearWHAC at netins.net
Wed Feb 21 01:20:45 EST 1996

I originally wrote:
>> We also have real ethical questions about the use of "All Makes" labs. I
>> know this is now going to bring a rebuttal from my son who does not agree
>> with me on this subject. <g>
Michael Ridenhour then asked:
>What kind of ethical questions could one possibly have?
>I would be interested to hear what you have to say.

Very simple - taking used parts from old junker hearing aids and using them
to fix a hearing aid. How often do we get a solicitation from Starkey and
the other "All Makes" labs offering to purchase old junker hearing aids from
us? What do you think they do with them - Throw them away? <g>

Oticon has published some interesting data about this. They have received
hearing aids for repair and have found a completely different circuit that
somebody stuck into an Oticon hearing aid - obviously an "All Makes" lab
that didn't have the correct parts to repair the aid. I have a Qualitone
hearing aid sitting on my desk right now that was returned from Starkey. It
is NOT the same hearing aid we sent to them for repair. It is one of our
loaner hearing aids. (I sometimes do send very old hearing aids to an "All
Makes" lab and use them for loaners. The original manufacturer often does
not repair their hearing aids that are very old! I would never sell one of
these aids.)

We do NOT send our patient's hearing aids to an "All Makes" repair lab
unless they have been informed "Used parts may be used to repair their
hearing aid."

Paul Woodard :-)
Des Moines Iowa USA

Okay. SoundHrg, let's have the rebuttal argument! :)