hearing handicap unilateral loss

DAVID H. LEWIS dhlewis1 at IX.NETCOM.COM
Wed Jan 3 10:47:48 EST 1996

I have bbeen requested by our state vocational rehabilitation dept to
justify their provision for services to a patient with a unilateral
hearing loss (no response in bad ear, ess. normal hrng good ear). He
doesn't meet their standard requirements given one normal ear.  They
are interested in some type of documentation of handicapping effect of
unilateral loss...we have talked about poorer speech discrim in noise,
etc but they want a more firm "degree of handicap".  Any references or
prior similar experiences would be helpful....thanks!

Mary Lewis, M.A. CCC, FAAA