CMV

Dawna Lewis LEWIS at BoysTown.ORG
Thu Jan 4 08:51:20 EST 1996

>I am looking for specific info re: progression and/or fluctuation of
>severe/profound SNHL-cmv etiology. I have a 7 year old patient with
>known prenatal cmv infection experiencing progression from moderately
>severe to severe loss in only functional ear...any references would be
>helpful.  Thanks!
>
>Mary Lewis, M.A. CCC, FAAA

Here are a few references on CMV.  Most of the articles, themselves, are pretty
general, but they contain references to more detailed information:

Schildroth,A.  Congenital Cytomegalovirus and Deafness.  "Americal Journal of
Audiology", 1994, 3(2), 27-38.

Johnson,K. et. al.  Management of hearing disorder resulting from
cytomegalovirus.  "Hearing Instruments", 1991, 42(11), 20-22.

Crawford, M., and Studebaker, G.   Cytomegalovirus:  A disease of hearing.
"The Hearing Journal", 1990, 43(1), 25-30.

Blank, A., CMV and hearing loss.  "Advance for Speech-Language Pathologists and
Audiologists", 1992, 2(13), 3, 26.

        Also, Children's Hospital of St. Paul, MN used to have a CMV research
program and probably still does.  They might have good info for you.  There
also is a group at (I think) Univ of North Carolina or Duke that has does quite
an extensive amount of research on CMV, following kids from birth.  Some of the
refs in these articles are probably from that group.

        Hope this helps!

D. Lewis

Dawna E. Lewis			e-mail address: lewis at boystown.org
Clinical Audiologist
Boys Town Natl. Res. Hospital		phone:  402-498-6607
555 N. 30th Street			fax:  402-498-6638
Omaha, NE  68131