Hearing Aids Quality

Michael W. Ridenhour gandalf at infi.net
Thu Jan 11 17:35:14 EST 1996

jdthomas at erinet.com (Jeffery D. Thomas) wrote:

> Hi.
>
> In general, how long do BTE hearing aids retain their overall quality?
> I've had mine 5 years and just recently had them repaired.    While
> they were being repaired, I used a pair of new loaners from some
> no-name brand.   I could tell a difference in sound quality in that
> the loaners sounded much better than my old ones, even after the
> repairs.     This leads me to believe that maybe my old BTEs have
> degraded in quality over time.     After getting my old BTEs back,
> everything sounded 'flat', if you know what I mean.
>

> +-----------------------------------------------+
> +  Jeff Thomas   jdthomas at erinet.com            +
> +                thomasjd at email.wpafb.af.mil    +
> +-----------------------------------------------+

Hi Jeff,
I generally use a figure I heard came from the GAO that BTE aids
last about 5-7 years. The thing that can happen is that the mike
and receiver, the wiring, and the tubing can deteriorate from exposure to moisture, oxygen,
dust, etc. which degrades their performance. If you heard better
with the new aids, I'd suggest you get new ones from your
audiologist. Of course, you can e-mail me and I'll send you a pair
for 1/2 price :)

Michael Ridenhour, M.Ed.
Audiologist