Need advice on new aids

HearWHAC HearWHAC at netins.net
Fri Jan 12 00:08:02 EST 1996

In article <aahzDKxyGn.36v at netcom.com>, aahz at netcom.com says...

>Howdy, folks.  I've been wearing BTE aids for more than 20 years.  It's
>been 10 years since the last time I replaced them, and more than 5 since
>the last time I went to an audiologist.  Now the aids are starting to
>break down, and none of the places I've called will recondition them
>(surprise, surprise).

>5) I'm in the SF Bay Area, and I've traditionally gone to Stanford for
>an audiologist.  Looking around, I see some audiologists in independent
>practices, and some attached to dispensers.  What are some common
>advantages and disadvantages?

I'll just comment on this one question. If I were purchasing a hearing aid,
I would obtain it from someone who has been successfully fitting hearing
aids in the same community for at least five years. Sure, I know, everyone
has to start out but I would look around to find that person who has at
least a five-year pattern of "success." (In our area, we have had a lot of
audiologists start out dispensing hearing aids and then leave. This always
is hard on the patients they leave behind.)

I would prefer to purchase the hearing aid from someone who owns their own
business. There are a lot of ear, nose and throat doctors who need to make a
lot of money so they own hearing aid businesses. But, a little known fact is
these doctors actually know very little about hearing aids - they have had
less training than you might think. They hire employees to sell their
hearing aids. The more successful employees usually gain their experience in
this way and then go out on their own.

Persons who have at least five years' experience and own their own practice
usually can be depended upon to do a good job in my opinion.

Sure, I know there are a lot of "employee" audiologists who will disagree
with me, but what I have said is pretty much true.

Like all things, I know there are some exceptions. We have at least one
audiologist in our state who has more than five years experience and owns
his own business that is in constant trouble with the state licensing board
because of his practices. I would never want to buy a hearing aid from him.

Your questions are excellent! Thanks and good luck.

Paul Woodard :-)