Need advice on new aids

Loren Randolph Loren.Randolph at m.cc.utah.edu
Fri Jan 12 21:29:43 EST 1996

Paul:
You bring up a point that, while perhaps not a continuation of the
original thread, is important, in my opinion.
For too many years we have seen a dichotomy between the "good guys"
(audiologists) and the "bad guys" (dealers). I agree that there have
been problems,  are problems, and probably will be problems from
differences in pricing, fitting philosophies, etc. between the groups.
But we must all bear in mind that the times are changing. The older
dealers are at retirement age, and licensure changes are responsible
for the growth of audiologist-dispensers.  Before too long, the "bad
guys" are going to come from the audiologist group.  I have been a
dispensing audiologist for probably too long now, and I have seen some
really bad audiologists out there, and some really good
non-audiologist dealers.
You have a good point- if the dispenser, be it audiologist or just
plain "dealer" has been around for a while, it probably indicates that
they are doing at least an adequate job. Just because we have a fancy
title with a bunch of letters, doesn't mean we automatically merit
referrals. I know that I personally learned "real-life" hearing aids
from a dispenser, not from an audiologist.
Loren