Need advice on new aids

Howard Moss hmoss at sr.hp.com
Mon Jan 15 15:00:25 EST 1996

This is a hard topic to deal with. Upon moving to Santa Rosa, I started
my search for the hearing-aid support structure that a user needs. I
have gone through about 7 different people and have finally settled
on 1 guy. I don't know what it is about hearing aid "places", but I agree
that some are barely qualified to be in the field. I find that, sorry to
say, I don't really trust anyone completely. This guy I have now has shown
some inkling that he understands his equipment and what it is showing as
well as has a nice personality. As an electrical engineer, I can separate
his regurgitation of stock phrases from real knowledge, but it is sad for
me to realize that I have to be on my guard all the time. And how about
others? Sheesh, 2 people I know have asked about hearing aids for their
mother & wife and then come to me wondering if $2400 PER AID is a reasonable
price! Gosh, what are these dispensers DOING!? Of course, I can see that
they are trying to sell their top-of-the-line aid and unsuspecting people
WILL buy them, not knowing that a reasonable bte can cost <$400. That just
gets my blood boiling, AND sours the industry for me... Sorry, but I can't
HELP but see the industry as a fly-by-night operation that anyone with a
SASE can get in with.

How can I change that perspective??? (I don't LIKE feeling that way)...

--
Howard Moss
hmoss at sr.hp.com
Rohnert Park, CA