Need advice on new aids

Hears2U hears2u at aol.com
Tue Jan 16 03:33:32 EST 1996

I tend to agree with many of the comments that Paul makes.  I am a CFY
currently but am entering the "profession" from a unique perspective.  I
have been in the hearing aid manufacturing field both for large companies
and on my own for 10 years.  I spent much time on the road as an outside
sales rep. and promoting my business.  There are many similarities between
the outgoing group og dispensors and the new group coming in.
Having now gone through a typical Masters program, I see why there are
many similarities.  Audiologists just aren't prepared initially for the
road ahead in private dispensing businesses.  So what are they doing??
They charge what I believe to be astronomical fees for hearing aids
because they have to cover their "limited" practice.  Is this all we go to
school for?  What ever happened to the whole hearing health care
professionals that we are trained to be?  Is full diagnostics a dying
skill?  How about all the other skills that ASHA so graciously put into
our scope of practice?
     As long as anyone (any profession) is in business to sell a single
product or service, the prices have to continue to rise to cover expenses
and income.  If audiologists get back into providing a full range of
services they can afford to sell hearing aids at a more reasonable cost
and absorb some of the loss through other services.  Remember, we are here
for the hearing impaired.  Greed will reduce us to the same arguments we
use against hearing aid dealers today.
     Times will change......and those in business solely by selling
hearing aids are going to be in for a drastic reduction in lifestyle.

David

 Hears2U (David)