Need advice on new aids

Ward R Drennan wdrennan at silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Sun Jan 14 17:53:29 EST 1996

In article <4d9489$nvh at insosf1.netins.net>,
HearWHAC <HearWHAC at netins.net> wrote:
>In article <4d75ek$89 at news.cc.utah.edu>, Loren.Randolph at m.cc.utah.edu
>says...

>I believe the universities should
>concentrate on:
>    1) Improving quality! (You can't do it with a masters program that has
>only twenty students and four faculty members in it.)

Why not?  Our program has about 12 students in each class and
10 or 12 faculty members.  Are you suggesting the student to faculty ratio
is too large? Of course the faculty members also teach undergraduate classes.
Most big ten schools have excellent audiology programs.  Northwestern, Indiana,
Purdue, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, OhioState, etc.

>    2) Reducing quantity! (Five or ten OUTSTANDING audiology programs in the
>United States could easily produce all the audiologist-dispensers needed!

True, schools are producing too many.  But I must say, the Big Ten programs
ARE outstanding.

>Only 15 or so universities in the US turn out all the optometrists needed,
>and there should be 10 optometrists for every one audiologist out there.

Why?  More than half the people that need hearing aids don't have them.

>Almost everyone wears eyelasses, but only 8 hearing aids per thousand
>population are dispensed each year in the US!)
>
>The greatest concern I have after observing the hearing aid industry for
>fifty years is our university hearing aid dispensing programs.
>

>My third greatest concern is see so few genuinely talented
>audiologists-dispensers coming into private practice. Optometry is a
>"profession." Audiology should become a "profession." The hearing impaired
>deserve nothing less. So many audiology graduates are just audiometer button
>pushers.

True.  It is troublesome.  The graduates of the big ten schools are
professional but there are so many bad audiologists that they can get a bad
name.  Let me tell you, I know, the students from this school (IU) are
excellent.

>The hearing impaired deserve better!

One can find a good audiologist. You just have to look.
--
Ward Drennan
Indiana University