Need advice on new aids

HearWHAC HearWHAC at netins.net
Tue Jan 16 23:01:09 EST 1996

In article <4dfnss$os9 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, hears2u at aol.com says...
>As long as anyone (any profession) is in business to sell a single
>product or service, the prices have to continue to rise to cover expenses
>and income.

David (Hears2U at aol.com) made some excellent comments. I believe all of us
were quite "idealistic" when we came out of graduate school with our
master's degrees. It took me about three years following graduate school to
get some "realism" pounded into me by the real world!

Back in the 1970's when ASHA felt it was unethical for an audiologist to
"sell" hearing aids (that was a dirty word then) I used to "chuckle" at
their agony as they finally agreed to let them "sell" hearing aids as long
as it was done at "wholesale cost"! I knew something the persons in the
ivory towers didn't know or understand. Those students back in the 1970's
that came out of the new "audiology" programs that had sprung up in all
kinds of universities were actually "human beings" who had been badly
spoiled before they ever got into the audiology programs. These students had
lived in nice homes, they had driven nice cars, they were used to wearing
nice clothing and they were used to a pretty nice lifestyle. If they were
going to have to take a vow of poverty and sell hearing aids without making
a "profit," I knew something would have to give.

How much do you believe a good dispensing audiologist should earn?
Optometrists earn $80,000 - $100,000 annually. Would you want your hearing
aid doctor (AuD) to be less qualified than your eyeglass doctor (OD)? No
way! I want my ears to have the very best. (The audiologists on our staff do
earn this much. But they are good. And they are worth every penny they earn.
They originally worked in ENT offices where they gained experience and once
they gained the confidence to know what they were doing, they came with me
and it has worked real well. I consider our hearing aid clinic a "model
practice" of the future.)

Paul ;-)