Need advice on new aids

Michael W. Ridenhour gandalf at infi.net
Tue Jan 16 23:11:18 EST 1996

jne5873 at osfmail.isc.rit.edu (system PRIVILEGED account) wrote:

> Just to add fuel to the fire....
>
> Do you think the audiologists out there SHOULD know how to sign?  If
> their clients are mainly hard-of-hearing and deaf, shouldn't they know
> how to communicate with them?
>
> --
> This posting was printed with 100% recycled electrons.
> -Jared Evans-    E-mail: jne5873 at rit.edu   WWW: http://www.rit.edu/~jne5873

Few hard of hearing people know how to sign. Few deaf people go to audiologists
(why would they, what can we do for them?) I have one guy who is
profoundly deaf and signs who comes to see me. We communicate by
writing notes. I used to sign, but have lost the facility through
disuse. Most others, I imagine, sign, though.

Michael