Frequency Range of Hearing (question)

Michael B. Tinsley mbtins01 at starbase.spd.louisville.edu
Fri Jan 19 13:36:10 EST 1996

I was working on a lab assignment yesterday and something interesting
happened.  The lab that we were working on was interfacing with
computers and programming in assembly language.  One of the experiments
called for us to generate a 2kHz tone.  That's fine...it worked and me
and my two lab partners heard it.  However, the program then asked us to
see how high of a tone we could generate and still hear.  We did a 12
kHz tone and everyone heard that with no problems.  The last tone that
we generated was a 15.9kHz tone.  I didn't hear a thing and I thought
that the program was not working.  However, my lab partners heard it as
soon as I executed the program.  Here's the stats....

I am a 22 year old male that has never had any hearing difficulties.  I
haven't really been exposed to loud sounds/music/noises much in my life.
Over the past 22 years, I have probably been to 3 concerts and I never
sat too close to the speakers.

My partners are the same age as me.  One is male and the other is
female.  Like I said, they heard the tone with no problems whatsoever.

My question is this....is this something that I should be concerned
about?  I know that most people can hear from 20-20kHz.  My cutoff
appears to be 16kHz.  I am still young and I haven't had any health
problems.  So...what gives?

Thanks.  Mike