topics on the AuD

Rogue2 STU_LCBRAZ at vax1.acs.jmu.edu
Fri Jan 19 09:23:24 EST 1996

I read recently that one of the reasons Baylor's AuD program is
looking bleak is because they are now requiring incoming students
to have Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Math (did not
specify *which* math) in their undergraduate background.
They didn't seem to feel that many students with Comm. Disorders
majors would have taken these kinds of classes, and therefore
enrollment at the graduate level may dwindle.  And then a
representative from Central Michigan mentioned looking into
requiring these classes as well for enrollment into *their*
program.

I would just like to know what kind of a background are these
programs hoping to give potential audiologists by requiring
Chemistry courses?  I am a firm believer that any class can
add to intellect--I can see the benefit of Physics (I don't
mention Math because a specific course wasn't specified) in
the study of audiology.  However, I guess I'm at a loss as to
why Chemistry courses would help.  I'm not dismissing these
classes as completely unnecessary, I just want to know what
were some of the thoughts behind requiring them?  If enrollment
will suffer because of these kinds of requirements, why
add them?  I know I personally decided to enter this field
*because* classes like Chemistry and Physics weren't required.
I've never been very good at Chemistry (never had a physics class
outiside of Acoustics), yet I have remained strong in all my
other classes.  This kind makes me worried about my future...

Please post any replies here...I'm sure I'm not the only one
with questions like these!  Thanks in advance!

-Laura Braz
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, Va
STU_LCBRAZ at JMU.EDU