Frequency Range of Hearing (question) (fwd)

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Sun Jan 21 14:06:02 EST 1996

>From: "Michael B. Tinsley" <mbtins01 at starbase.spd.louisville.edu>

>I was working on a lab assignment yesterday and something interesting
>happened.  The lab that we were working on was interfacing with
>computers and programming in assembly language.  One of the experiments
>called for us to generate a 2kHz tone.  That's fine...it worked and me
>and my two lab partners heard it.  However, the program then asked us to
>see how high of a tone we could generate and still hear.  We did a 12
>kHz tone and everyone heard that with no problems.  The last tone that
>we generated was a 15.9kHz tone.  I didn't hear a thing and I thought
>that the program was not working.  However, my lab partners heard it as
>soon as I executed the program.  Here's the stats....

I don't think we've ever discussed the practice of high-frequency
audiometry in this group.

Is there anyoone out there testing beyond 8 kHz?  What kind of
useful information does it provide?  What kind of norms are
you finding in terms of age, noise-exposure history, etc...?

Thanks..... Jeff
* Jeff Sirianni                        *
* University of Texas at Austin        *
* Communication Sciences and Disorders *
* sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu           *
* jgsaudio at aol.com                     *