tectorial membrane

A.J. Aranyosi aja at BLUEBOX-82.mit.edu
Sun Jan 21 17:46:44 EST 1996

Wolfgang Kreuzer (e9025589 at fbma.tuwien.ac.at) wrote:
: Hello everybody.
: Once again I have to ask for your help.
: I need any information about the tectorial membrane of the Organ of Corti
: especially some mechanical properties.
: Does anybody know more about it except that it is something like jelly ?

Currently there is very little information available on the tectorial membrane.
Most models of cochlear mechanics treat it as a rigid body, which is just about
the most unrealistic model one could think of.  My lab at MIT is doing a lot
of research on the tectorial membrane, so our work might be a good place to
start.  If you're going to ARO this year, check out the poster by D.M. Freeman
and T.F. Weiss, and the adjacent poster by Hattangadi, Freeman and Weiss.
These posters will describe current knowledge of tectorial membrane mechanics.
You might also want to check out articles by Karen Steel, who measured TM
electrical potentials a decade ago.

-A.J.