RF or ultrasound induced tinnitus?

Roger Brooks rsb at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Jan 24 11:51:25 EST 1996

Does anyone know of any cases where tinnitus was induced or aggravated by
non-ionising radiation, in particular in the microwave region.  I'd like
to find references to published work, but I'd also like to hear of
anecdotal evidence from anyone who has managed to prove to their own
satisfaction that microwave radiation had some effect on their tinnitus.

About 18 months ago I moved offices, and at about the same time was exposed
to a short blast of very loud noise from some idiot building worker with
a hammer drill.  A few days later I started experiencing tinnitus.

Since then I have noticed that after a week or two away from work, the
tinnitus seems to disappear (or at least is considerably reduced).  After
one or two days back at work it returns.  This was particularly noticeable
after the Christmas/New Year holiday, and I am looking for some kind of
environmental factor.  My new office is in the same building, and only a
short distance from the old one.  The background noise level in my office
is quite low, in fact it is probably quieter than the old one, as it has
double glazing.  However I am suspicious of a microwave dish which is
mounted outside the building directly above my desk.  I am going to get the
the room checked for microwave radiation, but any evidence of the signal
strengths and frequencies which have been reported to cause hearing
interference would be useful.

Another possibility which ocurrs to me is ultrasound or high-frequency
magnetic fields from my PC, as I got a new PC at about the time I moved
office.

I've already posted this to alt.support.tinnitus, and had a few replies
from people who have had problems with PCs causing/aggravating tinnitus,
although this appeared not to be due to audible noise levels.

I'm still hoping someone can point me in the direction of published work,
but any help or suggestions along these (or other) lines will be most welcome.

--
Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks at liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |