Need advice on new aids

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Sat Jan 27 01:26:28 EST 1996

In article <4eb7ts$a59 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, everest2 at aol.com (Everest2) says:

>They charge what I believe to be astronomical fees for hearing aids
>because they have to cover their "limited" practice.
>Hears2U (David)
>---
>what is the typical markup for a hearing aid?

I see a drawn out debate starting with this type of question.

Please remember that the mark-up on hearing aids is not to simply
make a large profit.  The mark-up that is involved should cover such
services as continued follow-up, counseling, and service.  In addition,
a larger than normal mark-up is is place to help compensate the fact
that many people return hearing aids for credit.

I like to think of the price of a hearing as follows:  The patient
pays for the hearing aid itself, plus unlimited follow-ups during
the time in which the aid is in warranty.  Some patients seldom return
to see me because they don't require my services, while many others
spend endless hours working through the adjustment phase.  It all
balances out in the end.  An audiologist's time is very valuable.
I often think about the charges a physician receives ($50-$100) for
a typical office visit of 10 minutes.  If an audiologist spends 1 hour
once a week for 4 weeks, that is a lot of time.  I am not saying that
we deserve the same pay as a physician, but our time is valuable, so
that is where a large portion of the mark-up is spent.

I personally don't like the idea of "typical mark-up".  There is too
much involved in a SUCCESSFUL fitting besides how much to mark-up...

We have been down this road before.... Please step lightly....

Jeff Sirianni     @(((<{
University of Texas at Austin
Communication Sciences and Disorders
CMA, 2nd Floor Clinic