(none)

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Sat Jan 27 01:12:13 EST 1996

In article <wardzal9-2501961842480001 at aragorn172.nuts.nwu.edu>, wardzal9 at mailw.starnetinc.com (Thomas Wardzala) says:

>In article <9601232355.AA28440 at rosnet.strose.edu>,
>mehtav at ROSNET.STROSE.EDU (Vanessa Mehta) wrote:

>>The subject of my report is on OAE:

>OAE's are actually sounds generated by the middle ear in response to stimuli

I think you meant to say inner ear instead of middle ear....

>OK the easy way to think of them is as an echo coming from the cochlea

Click evoked OAE's were once called Kemp Echos, named after David Kemp
who documented these sounds back in 1978(?).  From what I know, he was
studying middle ear mechanism by recording the echo that the middle
ear produced after transient stimulation.  While using incredibly
sensitive microphones, he detected an echo due to middle ear ringing
(middle ear echo) PLUS an echo having a delay well past the time
during which the middle ear was responding.  He proposed that the
source of this later echo could not be the middle ear, but some other
mechanism.  After extensive cochlear modeling and biological studies,
the active mechanism of outer hair cells within the cochlea have been
credited with the generation of OAEs.

>I am not exactly sure the name of the person that developed their use,
>but I know that he was an electrical engineer that used to work with
>oil companies using echoes to find oil deposits....I also know that he
>is the holder of the patent on TOAE testing.......

I am guessing you are talking about Kemp here, but I'm not sure... If
others can clarify, please do so...

>Tom Wardzala
>wardzal9 at mailw.starnetinc.com

Jeff Sirianni     @(((<{