Need advice on new aids

Everest2 everest2 at aol.com
Sun Jan 28 17:55:34 EST 1996

>Hears2U (David) wrote:
>They charge what I believe to be astronomical fees for hearing aids
>because they have to cover their "limited" practice.

>>everest2 wrote:
>>what is the typical markup for a hearing aid?

>>>sirianni writes:
>>>I see a drawn out debate starting with this type of question.
>>>Please remember that the mark-up on hearing aids is not to simply
>>>make a large profit.

i did not imply that it was.  i don't even know why hearing aids are
expensive  -- i thought it was largely due to manufacturers.

>>>The mark-up that is involved should cover such
>>>services as continued follow-up, counseling, and service.  In addition,
>>>a larger than normal mark-up is is place to help compensate the fact
>>>that many people return hearing aids for credit.

>>>I like to think of the price of a hearing as follows:  The patient
>>>pays for the hearing aid itself, plus unlimited follow-ups during
>>>the time in which the aid is in warranty.  Some patients seldom return
>>>to see me because they don't require my services, while many others
>>>spend endless hours working through the adjustment phase.  It all
>>>balances out in the end.  An audiologist's time is very valuable.
>>>I often think about the charges a physician receives ($50-$100) for
>>>a typical office visit of 10 minutes.  If an audiologist spends 1 hour
>>>once a week for 4 weeks, that is a lot of time.

no argument here.

>>>I personally don't like the idea of "typical mark-up".  There is too
>>>much involved in a SUCCESSFUL fitting besides how much to mark-up...

>>>We have been down this road before.... Please step lightly....
>>>Jeff Sirianni     @(((<{

i had no idea i was stepping into martian mud when i asked the darn
question.  curiosity gets me in trouble from time to time. (by the way,
now you really got my curiosity going.  what kind of numbers are we
talking about? :)

everest2 at aol.com
the woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
but i have promises to keep,