AuD Update

Thomas Wardzala wardzal9 at mailw.starnetinc.com
Sun Jan 28 02:06:29 EST 1996

OK....one more posting and off to bed.....

Just this past weekend, the IL Academy of Audiology sponsored their Winter
Convention, and the opening session was a debate re: the future of the
AuD.  A five member panel consisted of 2 spokesmen from ASHA, including an
ASHA Presidential Candidate, 1 from AAA, 1 from AFA (Audiology Federation
of America?), and 1 from NIH.

I could bore everyone with the blow-by-blow (and there was almost reals
blows exchanged), but instead I can sum up each parties position.....

AAA....."We ARE going to do this soon, and our plan will included earned
entitlements"

ASHA......"We are STILL looking into this matter, but we cannot tell
schools what degrees to give out (can't force the AuD), and we will be
advocating ONLY earned equivalencies given through university-sponsored
courses for university offered degrees."

AFA....."We have sat down with AAA, American Dispensing Audiologists,
American Educational Audiologists, and others (but not ASHA) and have
agreed on the following 11 criterion to be met for an AuD to be
granted.....there will be EARNED entitlement for existing audiologists
with MA's....with credit given by strenght of portfolio of education and
experience.....testing will be done to determine qualification with a
minimum score for all areas required, and a requirement of mastery of
three areas.  All gaps will be filled by either classes or time or
both.....earned entitlement will be phased out by the year 2001.  The
details will be worked out by spring, and the plan will be ready to go by
THIS summer.  We are going to do this NOW."

NIH....."whatever you do, do it soon.....and ASHA is full of it."

A common observation from those who I spoke with after the debate was that
ASHA was reeling and trying to cover themselves....they seem worried that
AAA or AFA was going to be the ones giving the earned entitlements and
they would lose out on the additional income from our DUES....and if
equivalencies were to be given through universities as ASHA wants, ASHA
would be on the receiving end of ALOT of money....that was what it came
down to...money.....and I would be willing to wager that the AuD will be
the thing to split audiology from the control of ASHA and give us the
representation we need....an organization DEVOTED to the needs and
concerns of AUDIOLOGISTS.....

ok off my soapbox.....

any questions....write and ask..

--
"Noboby with a good car needs to be justified....and I'll tell you why....I've come a long way since I believed in anything, and I've been half-way around the world....where you come from is gone, where you thought you were goin' weren't never there, and where you are ain't no good until you can get away.....Let's hit the fuckin' road."

Tom Wardzala
wardzal9 at mailw.starnetinc.com