Need advice on new aids (fwd)

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Jan 29 01:45:37 EST 1996

>From: chfseat at aol.com (Chf seat)

>Actually, it probably needs to be discussed, There is a current debate
>between our audiology dept. and our billing dept.  should there be charges
>for follow-up visits past one or two visits ???  The current reimbursement
>structure dictates that we often receive the invoice price for the hearing
>aid plus a $200 dispensing fee. This is a marginal profit margin for time
>spent.   It would it be feasible to charge differently ??? From an AR
>standpoint, followup visits are most important, but isnt our time worth
>somehting, and AR worth being reimbursed ??? The debate goes on... has
>anyone tried other billing strategies ???

I am not an "old-timer" who remembers the days before ASHA allowed audiologists
to dispense hearing aids, but I do agree on the recommendations that hearing
aids be offered in a "package" form, which includes follow-up and counseling.
These post-fitting visits are essential to a successful fitting.  I would
venture that a hearing aid purchaser who knows that they will have to PAY
for follow-up visits will simply not return to the office and suffer through
the adjustment period.  They may even put the hearing aid in their dresser
drawer and tell all their friends how horrible hearing aids are (imagine that!)

Without being confrontational, I would not endorse your fee-for-every-service
approach.  Set up some sort of package including device, fitting, follow-ups,
and counseling.  Your agency will benefit in the long run.

Jeff

* Jeff Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A           *
* Sound Advice / R.G. Delaney, M.D.    *
* 710 Water Street / Suite 404         *
* Kerrville, TX  78028                 *
* (210) 896-1433                       *
* (210) 896-1440 FAX                   *
* sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu           *
* jgsaudio at aol.com                     *