response to Michael Ridenhour

Michele Elkin elkinm at DGABBY.MFLDCLIN.EDU
Tue Jan 30 10:00:55 EST 1996

From: elkinm                Tue Jan 30, 1996 -- 08:43:40 AM
To: audiolog at net.bio.net~@
Just want to add a comment about your successful raise by 50%.  I think its
great but there are clinical settings out there that do not give step
increases for your production increases.  A lot of places give a flat %
increase to all employees and do not take into consideration the leaps and
bounds one has made for their department.  In the past, unfortunately, I
found out the hard way.  The setting I was in said they are competitive with
the other places in the state I was in.  In that case, my question is, if
clinics are continuously comparing themselves to "the other" clinics'
salaries, and everyone is making the same, how do we get out of the
continuous circle?  I know some people who are no longer striving for the
production increase or better performance because they feel they will not be
evaluated on that level anyway.  That is unfortunate.  How did the field get
like this?
Just curious.
Michele