Pay & Benefits Audiology

Shelley Duncan shellrd at expert.cc.purdue.edu
Tue Jan 30 19:04:04 EST 1996

is really too bad that some people are perpetuating the attitude that if
you are a CFY you _should_ be underpaid.  I don't mean to imply that I
feel I _deserve_ a high paying job when I graduate in May... but I DO know
that I have to live, and pay off my student loans... and I have put in a
lot of time and hard work (yes, CLINICAL work) to get where I am.  I know
that my classmates would say the same about themselves, as would friends in other audiology
grad programs.   I really feel that if you have quality outplacement
experiences and make the most of your time in your university clinic, that
should give you a remarkably good knowledge base that should make you
worth more than "minimum wage".  I would never go as far to say that I am
as good of an audiologist right now as someone who has actually been "out
there" for any period of time... but I think that the majority of us that
come out of grad programs right now should have confidence in our
ability to APPLY what we have learned and grow professionally.  Which in
turn means that we should have enough confidence in our abilities that we
don't sell ourselves short.  Maybe if "new" audiologists would have more
faith in their ability to learn on the job, and convey this to employers,
this debate about what to pay a CFY would not have to take place.  In
other words... in order to have respect, you must prove yourself worthy
of it... and then expect to be treated with such.