Occlusion Effect

CTB1954 ctb1954 at aol.com
Fri Jul 5 21:42:03 EST 1996

In article <4rgpuj$3cd at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, salam17472 at aol.com
(SAlam17472) writes:

>I have a hearing loss of 42 db to 70 db (moderate to moderately severe)
in
>each
>ear.  For the last ten years, because I have been using two hearing aids
>know what occlusion effect is.  My own voice hurts me.  I hardly speak.
>cannot
>articulate

Syed,

Four thoughts:

1.  The main likely reason you did not get as much occlusion effect from
the C.I.C. and you do from your current Phonak aid ( and corresponding ear
mold) is  probably due to the lack of insertion depth of your current ear
mold.  Tell your Audiologist to carefully make a very deep impression of
your ears (past the 2nd turn and into the bony part of the canal)  and
tell the lab to make the mold as long as the impression.  Earmolds of that
depth tend to make the ear sore, unless it is made out of an extremely
soft material, such as Emtech Lab's Patriot or Minimum Contact Mold.
Has your Audiologist attempted to carefully vent your current mold? Any
success with that?

2.  Does your Phonak aid have a compression circuit in it?  If it does,
suggest to your audiologist to activate it to the maximum.  If it does
not, ask them to find a moderately high-power aid which does, such as the
Oticon Personic 440.  Your current hearing aid also may be tuned to be
delivering too much bass.. Ask your audiologist to cut some of the bass.

3.  Also, there are C.I.C.'s which currently have more power than what you
have described..  I know that Qualitone makes a high power C.I.C. and I'm
sure there are other mfr's which now or soon do as well.

4.  If your hearing loss is symmetrical (essentially equal) on both sides,
it is usually best to go with the same design., model and frequency
response of instument.

Good luck, tell us how it turns out.

Craig T. Barth, M.A., CCC-A, FAAA
PRivate Practice