Ph.D. questions

Hears2U hears2u at aol.com
Wed Jun 12 19:16:12 EST 1996

I'd like to ask our Ph.D. readers some questions.  Probably ones they have
heard many times before.

1.  Do you feel your degree was worth the extra time?.
2.  What doors opened up for you?.
3.  What are the job prospects like today and expected in the future?
4. Are you working in a clinical or research setting?

  I'm trying to decide my future path.  I have many avenues open but am
fuzzy on the work available for Ph.D. audiologists.  This had been my goal
as I expected to continue straight from my Masters degree.  I 'm
completing my CFY next month but decided to wait a year before deciding.
  My problem ( an asset to this point) is that I have a very well rounded
background.  I have worked 10 years in the hearing aid
manufacturing/repair industry, the last 5 running my own business and have
developed products now commercially available.   In anticipation of
continuing my education I took on an extensive thesis involving
contralateral suppression of OAE with a renowned researcher.  I love doing
research.  (My thesis data is being presented in Italy at IAS this week).
My CFY is at a full diagnostic setting with vestibular (plat, roto, ENG)
and electrophysiology (ECoG, ABR) testing.  I am also involved in setting
up an OAE newborn program.  I enjoy clinical life as well.   Now I'm
having a difficult time deciding on a path to devote my time to.
     Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
David Laszlo
(hears2u at imagina.com)