Ph.D. questions

HearWHAC HearWHAC at netins.net
Thu Jun 13 20:36:39 EST 1996

In article <4pnmkc$t4h at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, hears2u at aol.com says...

>I'd like to ask our Ph.D. readers some questions.  Probably ones they have
>heard many times before.
>
>1.  Do you feel your degree was worth the extra time?.
>2.  What doors opened up for you?.
>3.  What are the job prospects like today and expected in the future?
>4. Are you working in a clinical or research setting?

This reminded me of a program Tuesday at my Kiwanis Club. The speaker is a
marketing director from the local Area Community College (2 year technical
degrees) which will soon overtake one of our large state universities to
become the 3rd largest college in Iowa. She told of their students who
obtain 2 years training in computer automotive mechanics now earning from
$50,000 to $70,000 within five years after college and can start out at
$100,000 a year in California. (Apparently 80% of the car's functions are
now controlled by computers whereas in 1990, it was less than 30%.) She also
claimed their air conditioning technician graduates earn from $50,000 on up.
She says it costs less than half as much to attend the Community College and
their graduates often earn more than those graduating from expensive
universities.

Moral (my usual soapbox, you've heard it here before), if you want the
hearing impaired to have excellent audiologists helping them - you are going
to have to 1) pay EXCELLENT salaries (i.e., comparable to other
professionals such as optometrists, etc.) to dispensing audiologists and 2)
upgrade all educational programs to the point they are "OUTSTANDING."

Paul ;-)