side effects of hearing aids

CTB1954 ctb1954 at aol.com
Tue Mar 19 08:58:40 EST 1996

In article <4ij0c8$loh at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, blueonlft at aol.com
(BlueOnLft) writes:

>Subject:	Re: side effects of hearing aids
>From:	blueonlft at aol.com (BlueOnLft)
>Date:	18 Mar 1996 01:38:00 -0500
>
>Just a quick correction....  Craig writes...
>
>>Yes.  One aspect of hearing loss which is often overlooked is that a
>>severely hearing impaired individual does not have a proportionately
>>higher threshold of pain from sound, or what is called in Audiology
>>circles, an Uncomfortable Loudness Level threshold.  Specifically, their
>>threshold of pain or U.C.L.(L.) is closer to that of normally hearing
>>people than what you would expect.
>
>Err...that describes reduced dynamic range : )
>

>Tim McClosky, M.S., CCC-A  (BlueOnLft at AOL.COM)
>College Park Hearing Services
>College Park, MD
>(301) 277-2100

Tim:

I believe, as the scenario that I portrayed, I am correct, as described.
I was not discussing (Absolute Threshold) - (UCL) = Dynamic Range.  I was
discussing Hearing Impaireds UCL being of a lower Absolute Value than what
you would expect.  Yes, that LEADS to a reduced dynamic range, because of
their ELEVATED
absolute thresholds.  But the isolated concept of UCL's does not
automatically equal reduced dynamic range.
Yes, I am being picky, I know:}   CTB.