ultrasonics & hearing loss

Dave Parkin dwparkin at mmm.com
Fri Mar 22 10:02:28 EST 1996

>Has anyone any information regarding the effect of ultrasonic exposure on
>hearing loss? Examples would include ultrasonic humidifiers, ultrasonic
>massage, ultrasonic cleaners, ultrasound imaging devices used in fetal
>examinations, etc. Presumably something loud enough to heat water or your
>musculature or take the tarnish off your ring is quite loud.

I have done a lot of work in the area of untrasonic process' as they relate to
manufacturing and have not run across information that indicated potential damage to
hearing.  In fact,  manufacturers of ultrasonic equipment do not mention use of
hearing protection in their product warnings or safety materials.  If there is
evidence otherwise,  I would like to know.

Dave Parkin
Senior Product Development Engineer
3M Hearing Health
St. Paul,  MN
dwparkin at mmm.com

Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of 3M.