Help with hearing aids

David G. Delage dgdelge at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 25 21:41:50 EST 1996

Here's my take on your questions.  Although I do not dispense hearing
aids, I develop instruments that help produce a more accurate and
reliable fit.  As a result of my experience, my views tend to be
"pushing the leading edge" of the industry.  Basically I believe you
get what you pay for when you buy low-end bargain-basement hearing
aids.  This isn't to say that they are totally useless, but there are
very few people who wouldn't get a better fit with better hearing
aids.  Anyway, on to the questions:

shender at macc.wisc.edu (Sam Henderson) wrote:

>-Do hearing aids really need to cost in excess of $800? I find it hard to
>believe that the technology of hearing aid is that expensive.

Keep in mind that when you buy hearing aids, you are not paying for
just the equipment.  You are paying for someone's time to fit the
hearing aids, their training, the building, etc.  Some hearing aids
are worth their price, some are way overpriced.  Much of the cost
depends of the type of loss your mother has.  A more complicated loss
requires more complicated circuitry, which then costs more.

> After having
>gone to the hearing aid place with my mother, I am under the impression
>that it is pretty much a medical scam that takes advantage of vunerable
>people. Please set me straight on this.

Most of the people are honest, some are crooks.  You can't really tell
with just one opinion.  If you want to make sure you're getting a
proper diagnosis, visit some more hearing aid places.  Obviously this
assumes there's more than one in your area, and that there is at least
one honest one.  :)

>-What is the best hearing aid to get in terms of quality and reliability.
>I don't care what the price is, as long as it is a quality product. I'll
>give her the money.

It really depends on the kind of hearing aids she needs, which depends
on the kind of loss she has.