Help with hearing aids

SoundHrg soundhrg at aol.com
Fri Mar 29 11:45:00 EST 1996

Much as I hate to admit, I agree HearWHAC!  (oooh, that hurts....).

You can't just look at the cost of the circuit!  You also can't just look
at what amount of time you spent with this mornings patient.  Look at the
time you spend with the next patient.  They may require 3 hours in just
fitting time, not to mention the hand holding required for the next year!

Yes, some patients will put a ReSound on, cancel their follow up visit
just because the sound is incredibly good.  But the others will make up
for that in time!

I find that patients who pay more for their hearing aids usually cost more
in time and follow up.  They expect more!  So do I!  I am willing to
provide more, charge more, and give the best possible product available.
I can also provide cheaper hearing aids.  The majority will have lower
expectations because I have explained the differences in technology, and
they will require less time.  They will know the less expensive hearing
aids are not capable of doing what the higher tech hearing aids can do.
So they will hopefully not require as much time as the more expensive
models require.

Hearing Journal or Hearing Instruments (sorry I can't remember which)
reported recently the time required to fit the average programmable
hearing aid.  It was well over 2 hours.  It was my understanding that was
fitting time.  They also require more adjustment time, fine tuning, and
other hand holding.  That is much more than what I have found with
conventional hearing aids. In my opinion, it is drastically worth while!
I hope my patients feel the same.

Dale Woodard