Help with hearing aids

HearWHAC HearWHAC at netins.net
Sun Mar 31 02:31:06 EST 1996

>Dave Writes;
>I believe in high tech but as a small time manufacturer myself I KNOW
>high tech can still be dispensed for $800

Dave, is Real Ear Measurement equipment valid? Should we be using it? What
about tympanometers, audiometers, hearing aid test boxes? Should we be using
them? Should everyone be fit with CPC (Ruth Bentler's term, not mine, Crummy
Peak Clipping) hearing aids? (They certainly are cheaper - should cost no
more than $90 - $100 wholesale! Do you build a lot of them? Some companies
still do.)

Should the dispenser have a telephone? What about an office with posted
hours for service? (These are required in Iowa by a licensing board.)

Should dispensers be licensed by a state? Should there be any educational
requirements for dispensing hearing aids? (I once had a person come to me
who had purchased two boxes of new hearing aids in an auction for fifty
cents and he wanted to know how to sell them. No kidding! His regular job
was changing oil in cars in a garage.)

Should hearing aid manufacturers be using tiny computer chips that cost
$100,000 to $1,000,000 or more to design?

Maybe we can figure out a way to come up with an $800 hearing aid. I wonder
if it would be any good?

Paul Woodard ;-)
Des Moines Iowa USA

(We probably could come up with an excellent hearing aid if only one company
made all 1,700,000 hearing aids sold in the United States each year. Having
100 companies each make 17,000 hearing aids is not efficient at all. Making
that small a number of hearing aids does not allow for any profit to be
spent on research & development. I wonder if we would be wise to get
Congress to pass a law that would require hearing aid manufacturers to sell
at least 100,000 hearing aids each year or else go out of business. That
would help solve the problem! The main reason hearing aids cost so much is
there are so few of them sold. I don't think you could make a profit if you
manufactured less than 1,000,000 television sets a year. I'm certain Sony,
Panasonic, Zenith and all the rest each make at least that many every year.
Volume does produce profitability. If a television manufacturer only made as
many TV sets each year as our hearing aid manufacturers produce hearing
aids, TV sets would cost a fortune! Stop and think about it in this
perspective! It makes sense, but most people don't see it this way!)

Now, I suppose somebody is going to say they don't want only one company
making all the world's hearing aids. I wonder why?