Pediatric Hearing Aid Fittings

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Sat Nov 2 11:10:26 EST 1996

{jillcccslp at aol.com (JillCCCSLP)wrote:}

>What has been your experience with fitting in-the-ear hearing aids in
>children? What is the lower age limit for a successful ITE fitting? How
>would you argue for an ITE vs. BTE fitting with a conservative insurance
>carrier?

I think there is any disadvantages to fitting an ITE in child.  If this is a
very young child (under 12 years old), the shell fitting will become too
small very quickly as they age.  Are the parents and/or the insurance company
willing to pay for re-fittings of the shell every year?  In addtion, children
tend to be rough on hearing aids and any ITE I can think of cannot handle
that type of use without being in repair every month.

My advice, stick to a mini-BTE, if size is a concern....

* Jeff Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A           *
* Sound Advice / R.G. Delaney, M.D.    *
* 710 Water Street / Suite 404         *
* Kerrville, TX  78028                 *
* (210) 896-1433                       *
* (210) 896-1440 FAX                   *
* audioman at hctc.net                     *