AFA's Au.D.

Tapeworm tapeworm at net2.intserv.com
Tue Nov 5 05:43:48 EST 1996

So, now that the applications are being sent, how many audiologists are
going to apply for their Au.D.?

I'm really undecided.  I can see the pros and cons to it.  I think that if
I get it, I won't put it on my card or start calling myself "doctor."
Probably just get it and stick it in a drawer for a while and see how the
whole Au.D. issue shakes out.

This Au.D. by accreditation raises some interesting issues.  In my state,
hearing aid dispensers are not allowed to call themselves "doctor" unless
the title has been earned.  It is arguable if holders of AFA's Au.D. will
be able to present themselves as "doctor" and I'm sure there'll be a legal
challenge.

Just curious what the bionet.audiology folks think of all this.  By the
way, for those who haven't received their applications, an Au.D. goes for
$750.00.

David Weesner, MA, CCC/A
New Jersey