audiology/slp

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Wed Nov 6 03:27:25 EST 1996

{Claudia Hughes writes:)

>Did any of you audiologists start out studying speech-language pathology
>and then switch fields? If so, was the change difficult to do?

Although I have never thought about SLP as a career (except when I see the
salaries they get) I can add a little insight into your question...

As a former TA at the Unversity of Texas at Austin, I encountered many
SLP students who switched over to audiology after assessing what their
long-term desires were.  I think many students know about SLP via speech
therapy, but little know about audiology.  I think that when students are
fully exposed to both SLP and audiology, they can get a good idea to which
field they would enjoy practicing when they graduate.  Some decide to go
double major, but the ASHA requirements turn graduate studies into a 6 year
program.  I recommend getting hands-on exposure when you are an UNDERGRADUATE
that way you don't have to switch over when you are in a graduate program.
The unfortunate fact is that many programs do not expose their students to
real "trench" work until they are in graduate school.

It is also not uncommon for practitioners to return to graduate school after
being in the real world a few years and realizing that they want to go the
other way.

My get on the stats.... 9 of 10 converts go from SLP to Audiology....

Jeff

* Jeff Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A           *
* Sound Advice / R.G. Delaney, M.D.    *
* 710 Water Street / Suite 404         *
* Kerrville, TX  78028                 *
* (210) 896-1433                       *
* (210) 896-1440 FAX                   *
* audioman at hctc.net                     *