Pediatric Hearing Aid Fittings

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Wed Nov 6 02:37:25 EST 1996

{Paul Dybala writes:}

>I agree with Jeff,

>in addtion you have to consider the capabilites for DAI so that
>the child can use FM systems with thier own hearing aid.

>Giving that child the best possible signal to noise ratios
>is critical and this is why FM systems are used.

>To put the child in an ITE would not allow them to use and FM system
>with the aid.

Thanks Paul for bring this up.  I forgot about this and it is a very
important consideration.

>Also if the child ever loses and aid a loaner can be easily reissued
>and hooked up to the child's earmold. Otherwise it is a week or
>two w/o amplification before it is back from repair recase.

Another good point.  I would say that each child I service requires 3-4
repairs a year (given a binaural fitting).  With an ITE fitting, there is
no real way for him/her to use a loaner except if they have an earmold or
if we can use a temporary mold (insert foam).

I must add in that there are a couple children in our practice that wear
ITE's and they are high school students that take good care of their aids.
In addition, all of these childrens' parents paid for the aids (versus
having them provided by the state program).  In this way, parents see that
their "investment" is well taken care of.

Jeff

* Jeff Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A           *
* Sound Advice / R.G. Delaney, M.D.    *
* 710 Water Street / Suite 404         *
* Kerrville, TX  78028                 *
* (210) 896-1433                       *
* (210) 896-1440 FAX                   *
* audioman at hctc.net                     *